Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary is the habitat for the only wild rhinos in Uganda. The Sanctuary also known as Ziwa Rhino and Wildlife Ranch is found in Nakasongola district and is a a joint project by both Rhino Fund Uganda and the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA). It was set up for the purpose of re-introducing rhinos in Uganda.
The rhino ranch is strategically located 176km about 100 miles in north of Kampala along Kampala – Gulu Highway, off the road to Murchison Falls National Park. While driving on the road, branch off at Nakitoma Trading Centre to the sanctuary.
At the moment, the ranch is a home to twenty two southern white rhinos. The site has become progressively prevalent with tourists who flock it for Rhino Tracking, Shoebill Trekking, Canoe Ride, Bird Watching, Night stride, Nature Walk as well as relaxation.
Overall Safety Guidelines within the Sanctuary.
- Any road kill is to be reported to Rhino Fund Reception.
- Littering, touching and feeding of animals is stringently prohibited.
- No driving or walking around the bush without a guide.
- Driving on the sanctuary with no guide after 6:30 pm is strictly not permitted.
- Firearms, drones, GPS and pets are categorically banned. You are supposed to declare them at the main gate.
- No cycling or jogging around the farm
- You are advised to listen to the guide’s briefings and instructions.
- Put off your mobile phone or activate it in the silence mode.
- Do not make noise or quick movements near the rhinos
- Your guide has got powers to withdraw you from the trekking group should you not adhere to the safety measures.
- A fine of USD 100 is payable for not following any of the above rules.